AmericanaFest is set to return for a slew of in-person shows this year, and so is its keystone Americana Honors and Awards ceremony, set for Wednesday, Sept. 22, at the Ryman. During a ceremony streamed this afternoon from the National Museum of African American Music, Keb’ Mo’ and Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor introduced this year’s nominees.
It’s a packed field that, as usual, includes a shedload of artists from the Nashville area and those who spend a lot of time here. There are supergroups who’ve convened to create brilliant work in recent years, like Our Native Daughters and The Highwomen (both Duo/Group of the Year contenders). There are also individual members of those groups being recognized for their talent — see Amythyst Kiah and Allison Russell of Our Native Daughters, both Emerging Act of the Year nominees, and The Highwomen’s Brandi Carlile is a very worthy Artist of the Year nominee alongside like Kathleen Edwards, Jason Isbell, Margo Price and Billy Strings.
Check out the full rundown below, and visit the Americana Music Association website for more details on this year’s festival, set for Sept. 22 through 25.
Album of the Year
- Sturgill Simpson, Cuttin’ Grass, Vol. 1 (The Butcher Shoppe Sessions), prod. David R. Ferguson and Sturgill Simpson
- Steve Earle & the Dukes, J.T., prod. Steve Earle
- Valerie June, The Moon And Stars: Prescriptions for Dreamers, prod. Valerie June, Ben Rice and Jack Splash
- Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Reunions, prod. Dave Cobb
- Sarah Jarosz, World On the Ground, prod. John Leventhal
Artist of the Year
Duo/Group of the Year
Emerging Act of the Year
Instrumentalist of the Year
- Megan Coleman
- Robbie Crowell
- Ray Jacildo
- Philip Towns
- Kristin Weber
Song of the Year
- Amythyst Kiah, “Black Myself” (Amythyst Kiah)
- Valerie June feat. Carla Thomas, “Call Me a Fool” (Valerie June)
- Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, “Dreamsicle” (Jason Isbell)
- John Prine, “I Remember Everything” (Pat McLaughlin and John Prine)
- Tyler Childers, “Long Violent History,” (Tyler Childers)