There are tons of notable concerts in addition to Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit's World Series-sized run at the Ryman (get the full skinny on their opening acts right here). We've rounded up a smattering of them for you in a handy calendar. The full list is below, along with additional details on a handful of top picks.
Oct. 9: FMRL — Kendra Amalie at Proper Saké
Milwaukee new-media artist Kendra Amalie is a virtuosic performer on the 12-string guitar, but that’s only one facet of the ethereal and intense songs on her new album Intuition. Backed by drums and synth, she’ll play as part of the outstanding experiential and experimental arts programming presented by local nonprofit FMRL — see fmrlarts.org and the organization’s Facebook profile for more.
Oct. 12: Nashville Cassette Store Day at Grimey’s, The Groove, The East Room and Drkmttr
Local label Banana Tapes is curating this bonanza of underground artists — part of an international celebration of independent music released on cassettes — spread across East Nashville. Offerings range from pop (Pet Envy) to stripped-down singer-songwriter performances (Styrofoam Winos) to experimental jazz (Abstract Black) and beyond.
Oct. 18: Commodore Quake feat. Megan Thee Stallion at Vanderbilt’s Memorial Gym
The leaves may be turning, but Hot Girl Summer continues. Headlining this year’s Commodore Quake is Houston rapper Megan Thee Stallion — the latest in a parade of MCs who prove that women who rap don’t have to submit to a false dichotomy between mad skills and an empowered, seductive persona.
Oct. 20: Wilco at Grand Ole Opry House
Just a couple of weeks after releasing their 11th studio album Ode to Joy, Chicago’s monsters of folk-rock will make their first visit to Music City as a full band since going on a hiatus from touring in 2017. In addition to cuts from the new album, expect to hear some songs requested through their website prior to the tour.
Oct. 24: Oh Sees at Mercy Lounge
Through all the lineup shifts and name changes in recent years, the California rock outfit helmed by John Dwyer still puts on one of the wildest shows in the business. They’re coming to town following the release of the whopping double album Face Stabber, which runs the gamut from hardcore punk to prog rock.
Oct. 30: Halloween Movie Night — Metropolis at the Schermerhorn
Fritz Lang’s Metropolis was first screened in 1927, but the silent film’s story of love and class conflict remains relevant, and the expressionistic visual rendering still feels phantasmagorical. Renowned organist Peter Krasinski will return to perform live accompaniment on the hall’s monumental pipe organ.
Nov. 2: Titus Andronicus at Drkmttr
In June, the New Jersey outfit released their concise and blistering sixth studio LP An Obelisk. It’s a pissed-off-but-not-hopeless record about squaring up to our myriad social and political problems, and they seem to be making a point to engage a wider audience by playing a much-loved all-ages club.
Nov. 4.: Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Ryman
On Sept. 11, Elvis Costello accepted the Americana Music Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Songwriting at the Ryman, which he referred to as one of the finest singing rooms in the world. Just knowing that he’ll be back may be all you need to convince you to go. But just in case: The songs from Look Now, his 2018 LP with the Imposters, are as rich and tough to pigeonhole as ever.
Nov. 12: Big K.R.I.T. at Marathon Music Works
Mississippi rapper Big K.R.I.T. has been repping the South well for more than a decade, and his latest LP K.R.I.T. Iz Here continues the trend. There’s plenty of Dirty South DNA in the mix, and just as importantly he keeps rhyming about what’s important to him. Maybe that doesn’t yield massive sales, but it’s something to admire.
Nov. 23: Liza Anne at The Basement East
Georgia-born songsmith Liza Anne chose to follow her instincts and ended up making the best rock album to come out of Nashville in 2018 with Fine but Dying, an LP that is as emotionally literate as it is great for head-banging. Here’s your chance to catch her ahead of her next album project.
Kelsey Beyerley, Alejandro Ramirez and D. Patrick Rodgers contributed to this report.
- Sept. 30: Lizzo at the Ryman
- Oct. 1: The Black Keys at Bridgestone Arena
- Oct. 2: K.Flay at Marathon Music Works
- Oct. 3: Conversations With Nick Cave at TPAC's Polk Theater
- Oct. 3-5: Trisha Yearwood With the Nashville Symphony at the Schermerhorn
- Oct. 6: Jubilee Day Convocation at Fisk Memorial Chapel
- Oct. 6: Boyz II Men With the Nashville Symphony at the Schermerhorn
- Oct. 9: FMRL: Kendra Amalie at Proper Saké
- Oct. 10: Dancin' in the District feat. Leftover Salmon & more at Riverfront Park
- Oct. 11-12: Noise Matter Fest at Drkmttr and Springwater
- Oct. 11: Ornament Album Release at The East Room
- Oct. 11-13: Exit 111 Festival feat. Lynyrd Skynyrd & more at Great Stage Park in Manchester
- Oct. 12: Nashville Cassette Store Day at Grimey's, The Groove, The East Room and Drkmttr
- Oct. 12: Mudhoney at The Basement East
- Oct. 12: Horror Hootenanny 16 at Little Harpeth Brewing
- Oct. 13: Greta Van Fleet at Municipal Auditorium
- Oct. 14: Juan Wauters at Soft Junk
- Oct. 14: Danny Brown at The Basement East
- Oct. 18: Ahmad Jamal at the Schermerhorn
- Oct. 18: Maren Morris at Ascend Amphitheater
- Oct. 18: Commodore Quake feat. Megan Thee Stallion at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium
- Oct. 18: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit's Ryman Residency (Oct. 18-20, 22-23 and 25-26)
- Oct. 20: Of Montreal at Little Harpeth Brewing
- Oct. 20: Wilco at the Grand Ole Opry House
- Oct. 20: Mike Watt and the Missingmen at Exit/In
- Oct. 21: Sleater-Kinney at the Ryman
- Oct. 22: Faye Webster at The High Watt
- Oct. 22: Musicians Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Concert feat. Garth Brooks, Paul Simon & more at the Schermerhorn
- Oct. 24: Don Trip at Exit/In
- Oct. 24: Oh Sees at Mercy Lounge
- Oct. 25: Kacey Musgraves at Bridgestone Arena
- Oct. 26: Andrew Combs at The High Watt
- Oct. 27: Stiff Little Fingers at The Basement East
- Oct. 27: Trey Anastasio at the Ryman
- Oct. 28: Elton John at Bridgestone Arena
- Oct. 30: Halloween Movie Night feat. Peter Krasinski: Metropolis at the Schermerhorn
- Oct. 31: Hobo Johnson and the Lovemakers at War Memorial Auditorium
- Nov. 1: FMRL: Sean Hamilton at Proper Saké
- Nov. 1: Kelsey Waldon at the Station Inn
- Nov. 2: Titus Andronicus at Drkmttr
- Nov. 3: King's X at The Basement East
- Nov. 4: GWAR at Exit/In
- Nov. 4: Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Ryman
- Nov. 6: Shovels & Rope at the Ryman
- Nov. 7: Hiss Golden Messenger at The Basement East
- Nov. 8: Schoolboy Q at Municipal Auditorium
- Nov. 10: Black Mountain at Mercy Lounge
- Nov. 12: Big K.R.I.T. at Marathon Music Works
- Nov. 12: Cautious Clay at 3rd and Lindsley
- Nov. 13: Mindy Smith at City Winery
- Nov. 15: FMRL: Bill Direen w/J.R. Bohannon & more at Proper Saké
- Nov. 15: Dinosaur Jr. at Cannery Ballroom
- Nov. 19: Lisa Prank at Drkmttr
- Nov. 20: Chastity Belt at The High Watt
- Nov. 22: John Hiatt at City Winery
- Nov. 23: Liza Anne at The Basement East
- Nov. 27: Black Belt Eagle Scout at Drkmttr