click to enlarge
As Pith counts down the hours to the guitar dropping on Lower Broad, we pause for a moment to wring out the old. Revisit some of the year's most controversial topics--and some choice rancor--as we recap the 10 most popular posts that appeared on Pith in 2009:
10. WSMV Names Bob Sellers New Co-Anchor for Dan Miller's Former Slot
While the city continues to grieve the hugely popular newsman, the question is finally answered: Who'll fill the empty chair next to Demetria?
9. The Lingering Questions Surrounding Steve McNair's Death
A snapshot from the hazy period between the former Titan's death and the eventual murder/suicide ruling.
8. Bernie Ellis Unleashes Reign of Terror Against Quivering Tre Hargett
The Dangers of New Media, Part 1,236, from the files of Jeff Woods: Beware leaving an innocuous blog comment, or Tennessee Secretary of State Hargett will tell the TBI you're a suspected terrorist threat.
7. New Low in Jay Cutler Saga: Denver Sports Writer Becomes Nashville's Creepiest Tourist
Failed attempt at humor or failed attempt at journalism? You make the call--and unlike the article's author, maybe yours will get returned.
6. Sen. Paul Stanley, Champion of Family Values, Caught in Sex-and-Blackmail Scandal
Three things that don't mix: family-values tub-thumping, Mexican food, and boinking your nubile intern. Surely there was no way this story could get more lurid....
5. McKensie Morrison: Fragile Flower or Femme Fatale?
"Here's a high school student body president, Latin club officer, and National Honor Society member who, in only a matter of months, is doing crack, living like a homeless person in central Florida, and watching her young husband attack a 75-year-old man with a hammer...."
4. Maybe Those Tea Party Protesters Were Right About the Bailouts
Geez. Pete Kotz tosses the teabaggers a bone, and here they come after him with it.
3. Lane Kiffin Hire Naturally Devolves Into Hot-Chick Ogling
Apparently the wife of the Vols' new coach is rather attractive. Really, we hadn't noticed.
2. MBA's 'Hooked on Phonics' Chant Officially Retired
The most commented post in Pith history touches upon the bitterness between well-heeled Montgomery Bell Academy and its arch-rival Ensworth. The fury that ensued in the comments thread--not helped by our subtle photo illustration--did not reflect favorably on the city's children of privilege.
1. Republican Staffer E-mails Obama 'Spook' Photo
What passes for Republican humor when folks think no one's looking? The best knee-slapper of 1859, and an incident you'll love hearing the national media rehash throughout state Sen. Diane Black's House campaign next year. Caleb Hannan, you are missed.