Every year during the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival (perhaps you've heard of it), the Ace Hotel in neighboring Palm Springs hosts their Desert Gold "tent revival." This year, the Desert Gold festivities (April 12-21) will feature a poolside pop-up shop from the Third Man gang, and everyone's favorite (and only) rolling record store, the Rolling Record Store, will be there. Goodies being peddled will include "a Stereoptic Eye, metal belt buckle, switchblade comb, shot glasses, bang gun, pennant, baseball T-shirt, lenticular postcard ... and [pre-sales of] a limited-edition 7-inch box set (of 300) housed in a one of a kind snakeskin-style 45 carrying case featuring 5 Live singles that will be recorded at the Ace Hotel over the course of the second weekend." Who will the special guests be? Hush-hush for now, it seems.
But local TMR fans aren't shit-out-of-luck, as the label's home base on Seventh Ave. will host a soiree of its own, featuring performances from Karen Elson and Fats Kaplin, Mark Watrous and a DJ set from Jemina "DJ Baby Mama" Pearl, plus local vendors and more. There will be new merch (T-shirts, iPhone cases, posters, patches and more), plus exclusive colored versions of the latest TMR Document reissues. Knowing Third Man — um, and also given the fact that they say there's "one more surprise" — I'm guessing the color-coordinated collectible-curation crew (too much?) has a trick up their collective sleeve. Follow me after the jump to see all their plans for Record Store Day Nashville.
RSD @ in NASHVILLE
- A limited number of Elephant Reissues on colored vinyl will be available beginning at 11am, and lasting until 2pm or the last copy is sold in the Blue Room. Each purchase of Elephant will include a free White Stripes poster while supplies last.
- 12:15 Mark Watrous acoustic set
- 1:15 Karen Elson & Fats Kaplin acoustic set
- DJ Baby Mama (Jemina Pearl) to DJ in between sets
Local vendors to include…
- Hot Diggity Dog (serving up an off-menu “Detroit Dog.”)
- Fat Bottom Brewing Company
- Bang Candy Company (with a specially concocted treat just for RSD)
- Las Paletas
Store & Novelties Lounge:
- From 11-2, the store will be selling loads of new merch, including new T-Shirts, iPhone 5 cases, RSD Ambassador patches, a new aluminum 45 adapter, buttons and the lenticular poster made for the Coachella pop-up shop.
- Beginning at 2pm, the store will be selling 100 of each of the exclusive, colored Volume 2 Document Reissues (1 per customer).
- The Monkey Band will be loaded with a brand new secret track from a mystery artist for you to take a stab at recognizing… (we’re looking at you, out of towners!)
We have one more surprise that we’re keeping close to our chest for now, because believe us when we tell you… it won’t disappoint.