Remember Nashville's first "official," "professional" basketball team, The Pioneers? It's the hodgepodge crew of would-be local ballers that counts among its ranks rapper Chancellor Warhol and rockers Ben Elkins (Heypenny), William Tyler, Evan P. Donohue, PUJOL's Daniel Pujol (apparently he's recently joined their ranks) and several others. And they're getting serious about it. Well, obviously not seriously serious, but as serious about this sort of thing as you'd want them to get.
The Pioneers recently held a press conference, at which they unveiled that they received a challenge from ... the entire nation of South Korea, I suppose? One might initially doubt the veracity of the email, given its a-tad-too-quirky syntax. But we're not trying to ruin anyone's good time. The team will be sending one representative, Pioneers founder Adrien "Slingshot" Saporiti, in order to ... I'm not exactly certain what. But hey! Local rock blog No Country for New Nashville shot the press conference (embedded above) and ran down all the press conference highlights in a post — details on a pep rally (Feb. 2 at The Stone Fox), proceeds going to charity, all that stuff. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting, NCFNN! I'mma just block-quote you:
* As they are unopposed in their claim to Nashville and hosting events that will bring in revenue, the Pioneers asserted their status as both official AND professional, by definition.
* The Pioneers were challenged to a game against Korea, and are sending one representative to play in late January.
* Confident in their victory, the team will be holding a victory party and pep rally at The Stone Fox on 2/2/13.
* The proceeds from games and various events hosted by the Pioneers will go to benefit local charitable organizations.
* The first official home game is still TBA.
* The Pioneers will consider any challenges.
* The team has no player cap, no salary cap, and players are not allowed to be drafted.
* The Pioneers are eyeing Bridgestone arena (and LP Field) as possible home venues.
* Though they’ve been fielding league offers, the Pioneers intend to remain independent
And the "official" Korean challenge:
Subject: Korea Grand Challenge of Basketball Story
Hello Grand Team of Nashville. We have much excitement for basketball. It is our great hope that we invite the Pioneers to Korea. Korea is a wonderful land. Many basketball teams with desire to play also ^^ Send Response Quickly for acceptance of Challenge. Fighting!!