Oh damn, that's my jam! Welcome back to another Total-ly dope installment of Party & Bullsh*t. This weekend is real heavy on hot shows, so let's get down to the very serious business of partyin' and bullshittin'. First off, happy birthday to The Boom Bap, and good call on bringing Tony Touch to town. I mean, as the above video clearly illustrates, that dude is one of the greatest DJs of all time. Oh wait, let me elaborate on that assertion a bit, cranky old-man style:
OK kiddos, here’s the thing — if anybody claims to be “on top of the mixtape game” yet they have never actually released something on an analog cassette, they are full of shit. Sorry to ruin the fantasy, but uploading to DatPiff is not the same as mixing a mixtape. Tony Touch, on the other hand, ruled the world of C90s back in the ‘90s, more or less breaking every artist of that era that really mattered. When we were coming up in the game, getting our hands on a new Tony Touch tape was cause for celebration — remember this is pre-Interweb, so getting underground music wasn’t as easy as turning on your laptop — and the source of much of our info on what was new and hot in New York. Needless to say, Touch is the perfect DJ to help our hometown underground crew celebrate their fourth year of head-nodding and ruckus-raising.
Will I be in attendance at this momentous event? Who knows! The P&B party bus took a forklift to the face and is out of commission for a hot minute. The MTA's non-party bus is a total pain in the ass for clubbin', so we'll see what happens.
And now, it's time for more Party & Bullsh*t, whip-less or otherwise ...
* Shows, shows, shows. We gotta bunch of shows this weekend. Gray, Kaby and crew are at The Attic and Droppin' Science is at 12th & Porter tonight, Plus The Boom Bap at The 5 Spot and Nicolay and the Hot at Nights over at The Listening Room. Oh look, I wrote about Nicolay too:
Good goddamn, we’ve been waiting on this one for a hot minute. Well, more like four months — while we appreciated finding out about Foreign Exchange producer Nicolay’s new collaboration with jazz trio The Hot At Nights, waiting to see it in the flesh has been pure torture. On the off chance that you missed our coverage back in November, we’re gushing fanboys of the North Kakalaka progressive hip-hop fusion of the Foreign Exchange, Nicolay’s solo electronic records and just about everything else that comes out of that camp. So yeah, an evening of jazzy explorations of Nicolay’s City Lights Vol. 2: Shibuya featuring the virtuosic playing of FE associate Chris Boener and the rhythm section of Matt Douglas and Nick Blagio has got our hearts in a prog-jazz-electro-fusion tizzy.
Again, this is a helluva weekend to be stuck riding with the Metro Transit Authority.
* Young Buck has a new tape, Live Loyal, Die Rich, and you can download it over here. I haven't had the chance to get all the way through it, but there ares some gems on here. There's also some filler. I'm a little too ADD to handle 78-minute tapes today. That said, the video above has a tasty loop from my favorite part of my favorite Rare Earth song, so I totally intend to dig into LLDR when I've got the time.
* BRIT, on the other hand, keeps it at a sprightly five songs/16 minutes on his new Purple Lightsabers EP. I can sit still for 16 minutes. Barely, but I can do it. Lightsabers has a decidedly futurist bend, heavy on the synths and cavernous robo-bass and Brit's flows have become a lot tighter over the last year or so. You can download Purple Lightsabers on his website.
* Starlito also turned in a hella tight, short-form project, For My Foes. I've already expressed my enthusiasm for this project — you may remember "The Musical," the video he did for, ahem, the whole EP — but I think Gotty at the Smoking Section breaks it down proper. Seriously folks, if you're not listening to 'Lito, you need to rectify that shit ASAP. As Gotty argues, it's the perfect length for new listeners.
* The sampledelic-leaning instrumental outfit Jota Ese has been releasing some stone-cold burners over on Soundcloud lately. If you're not following JE, you oughtta be — this shit is tiiiiiiight. I wouldn't mind hearing some hot young MC spit some fire over this stuff.
Gotta hot show, dope tape, fresh video? Hit me up on Twitter or email music[at]nashvillescene[dot]com.