- Tanglewood Numbers (pundits in the liquor light...)
Despite the recent death of liner notes
, cover art still is still pretty common and provides a musical release with panache. Of course, sometimes this backfires
. No one wants their cover to end up resembling (as Gold described Soundgarden's latest album art) "Mammaw’s moon wolf shirt."
One possible formula for veneering your album's cover is choosing a William Eggleston photo. As observed by Jack Silverman, your band would not be the first.
The Father of Color Photography and a paragon of Southerness (just like Mammaw), Eggleston has an exhibit at the Frist entitled Anointing the Overlooked which ends May 1. Check out album-art affinities by groups such as Big Star, Spoon, Derek Trucks Band, and Jimmy Eat World among others after the jump.
- Primal Scream, Give Out But Don't Give Up
- Big Star takes its name from a now defunct Memphis grocery chain. In Memphis during the late 50's, frontman Alex Chilton's mother ran an art gallery and granted Eggleston his first exhibit.
- If you like Blues Hammer you'll love DTB's Soul Serenade...
- Joanna Newsom and the Ys Street Band (EP)
- Not an Eggleston photo. This shirt is at Goodwill right now.