Wednesday, April 29, 2009

NPR's 'Tiny Desk' Concerts on YouTube

Posted By on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Dunno if you've caught any of NPR's "Tiny Desk Concerts," but they're part of a wonderfully intimate little series. The videos have been hosted at NPR's website for a while now, but they were only viewable via the site's relatively unwieldy player. A couple of weeks ago, the NPRmusic YouTube channel started putting them up. Check out the above performance from Lambchop's Kurt Wagner; it includes a cover of Dylan's "You're a Big Girl Now."

Other awesome "Tiny Desk" performances include a be-hatted, semi-unplugged sesh from ass-kickers Dr. Dog, one from Vic Chestnutt (whose brain appears to be in deep space) and a totally weird one from Tom Jones. Enjoy.

Tags: , , , , ,

What If...? (Newsy Bits)

Posted By on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM

question-mark.jpg

* What if the '90s started ruling Nashville extra hard--so hard, in fact, that Eddie Vedder added a second (!) show at The Ryman on June 17? And tickets went on sale this Saturday at 10 a.m.?

* What if you could not only download a new MP3, but also get a personalized letterpress sleeve and a piece of actual tape from the floor of John Vanderslice's studio with your new CD called Romanian Names? And JV was playing Exit/In June 23?

* What if Nick Jonas was spotted eating at the Nashville airport Burger King?

* What if you could buy the new EP by The Privates for only $4.95 at iTunes?

* What if we couldn't rewind because we'd gone too far?

Tags:

OK, This '90s Revival Thing Is Out of Control: Marcy Playground Coming to Murfreesboro?

Posted By on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Marcy Playground: One-Head Wonder?
  • Marcy Playground: One-Head Wonder?
Club 527, the unstoppable zombie of Murfreesboro nightlife formerly known as Main Street or Inferno Bar or what ever the fuck you call it, is working hard to get the jump on '90s nostalgia. Earlier this month they brought out Vanilla Ice, and on May 23 they are bringing out the legendary Marcy Playground. Wait, is "legendary" the right word? I've never actually listened to Marcy Playground, couldn't tell you one damn thing about them beyond "Sex & Candy" being required listening if you wanted to get any poon the summer after I graduated from high school. Needless to say, it was a fairly celibate summer for me. I do remember a couple of my friends thinking MP were cool because they had a song about opium or some shit, but that seems like a weak-ass reason to listen to a band. If the lure of sweet-lovin' couldn't sell me on a band when I was 17, a boring ass drug like opium wasn't going to do it--maybe if they wrote about ephedrine and Maddog 20/20. Maybe. Admittedly, I've been a music snob since I came out the womb, but have people already forgotten that here was a bunch of good music in the 1990s? Are my children going to think that the entire decade was nothing but Candleboxes, Verve Pipes and Toadies? Will Eve 6 be my generation's The Outfield? Are the New Radicals the Starland Vocal Band for my age bracket? Is the gawdawful dreck that sent me running to underground music going to haunt me til I'm worm food? Of course, Marcy Playground are playing at 527, so the odds of their having an impact on the larger American culture are almost nil, but it still kinda freaks me out.

Death Cab for Cutie Caption Contest: Win Tickets [Updated]

Posted By on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM

6-1-5  3-2-2  9-6-2-7
  • 6-1-5 3-2-2 9-6-2-7

We are pleased to announce that we have two (2) tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie at The Ryman this Sunday, May 3. The way you can win them is by writing the funniest caption for the photo above.

Remember to leave your email address with your comment. It won't be published, but we will need it to inform the winner.

Have fun, and may the most hilarious caption win. Contest ends tomorrow (Thursday) at noon. Go! Update: Contest has ended. Thanks for playing.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: 'Young Adult Friction' Video

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Totally. This video doesn't do a whole lot for me, though skulls and books are both hilarious. I do like the song, though. My question: Has there ever been a band on Slumberland that more than 500 indie pop kids and their virginal librarian friends listened to? It's kind of freaking me out how much attention this band is getting. What's next, Boyracer cracks the top 100 Twitterers? Henry's Dress to reunite and do all-request set at Pitchfork?

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart play this Saturday, May 2 at The End. Look for a feature in this week's print edition of the Scene, in which the band explains that whole incest thing, or lack thereof.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Austin City Limits Festival Releases Exhaustingly Awesome Lineup

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM

ACLFest.jpg

Remember when festivals were a massive deal because there were only so many of them, and each one had just a colossal headliner or two (if any)? I think I'm becoming a bit desensitized, because every time the lineup for the latest Earthlink/Pringles Summer Slam Jam or Puffs Tissues "Fall Into Softness" Tour is announced, it's advertised as the greatest combination of bands in history.

But to be fair, the Austin City Limits folks truly have put together an extremely impressive one this year. They've released their lineup here, though there's a more linear list of artists here via Austin 360. The fest is slated for October 2-4, and local and/or "local" artists of note playing include Jonell Mosser, Kings of Leon, Damien Horne, Sarah Siskind, Jypsi, Todd Snider and The Dead Weather. Headliners include Pearl Jam, Dave "fuckin' awesome" Matthews, Ben Harper, John Legend & Beastie Boys. But...acts you should be truly psyched about include Rodriguez (who virtually never plays in North America), The Walkmen, Sonic Youth, Daniel Johnston, Dr. Dog, Blitzen Trapper and plenty more. Tickets can be purchased here.

Tribute to Empire Records Feat. Plex Plex, The Pink Spiders, Mean Tambourines & More May 13 @ Mercy Lounge

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I think I was too old to be into that movie Empire Records. It came out in 1995, and I was already at MTSU. I guess the idea of a record store in my mind would be much better depicted five years later by High Fidelity, as far as movie depictions of record stores go. Definitely not like any movie whose soundtrack about a record store would include a song by The Cranberries or The Gin Blossoms.

Still, it seems I've known a lot of folks younger than me that remember that movie quite fondly. To me, it was just another one of those '90s movies capitalizing on what "alternative" meant in a very tidy, formulaic, mainstream kinda way. Grungy attire, nonchalant references to suicide attempts, big corporate takeovers and canned malaise. But hey, if I had seen it in 10th grade it might have felt like my life! Who knows? (Wikipedia says the movie was written by a former Tower Records employee, which actually explains everything.)

Tags: , , , , ,

Popped Collar Parking Lot: Dave Matthews Band at Vanderbilt

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM

"No matter what kind of music you like, you cannot go wrong with Dave Matthews Band." And apparently Dave fucked up the words to "Stairway to Heaven" (!) but it was "awesome" anyway.

(Via You Tell Concerts.)

A Couple Items of Local Punk News: Jay Reatard and Jeffrey Novak

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM

jayreatard.jpg

Earlier, P. Rodg expressed worry about not having anything to do on July 11.  I had a similar problem, but with July 9. My concerns have been assuaged by an email missive I received from a certain Jay Reatard, explaining the deatails of his upcoming tour, which will include a stop at The End on the 9th. The Memphis garage punker has "just completed" his new album, according to Matador Records' website; presumably it will come out around the same time.

Roadtrip to Drunksville: Etta James at Arrington Vineyards June 12

Posted By on Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM

When Kix Brooks says he's havin' a kegger, he ain't kiddin'!
  • When Kix Brooks says he's havin' a kegger, he ain't kiddin'!

If you aren't going to Bonaroo and want to escape the Fan Fair clusterfuck on June 12, I would definitely consider heading out to Kix Brooks' place and gettin' goofy on some grapes. If you haven't seen Etta James live, you owe it to yourself--please pretend that Cadillac Records was never made and that Beyonce had the good sense not to sign on as an obvious James wannabe. I've heard from folks that the Vineyard is a really chill place to see a show, which in contrast to the other options that weekend, is looking really appealing. Sweet hang, dooder.

Also, Loggins & Messina are going to be appearing at Arrington Vineyards on Sept. 6, but we all know that the only way to listen to Loggins is on the golf course when you're killin' gophers. And just for the sake of conversation, would you look at this guy's redonkulous drum kit:

Tags: , , , , ,