Mysterious man of sound Jeremy Ferguson, a.k.a. Battletapes, has been busy as hell lately in his East Nashville studio. The producer/engineer's current projects are almost too numerous to name—new Be Your Own Pet demos, Thornton's new record, Turbo Fruits' new record, Hands Down Eugene's new record, Skyblazer, to name only a few—but he still took a few minutes to make some "local lists" for our fine Cream readers.
Top 4 Reasons Your Guitar Tone Sux
1. Tone is in your fingers and you spend more time with them in peanut butter jars than on your guitar, stoner. A great player will sound good on any reasonable guitar and most any amp.
2. You don't need a 100-watt amp, you need a smaller amp that you can turn up.
Big amps sound like shit on 3.
3. You change your strings too often (spling!) or you don't change them enough. (Note: wash your hands and wipe your strings, pizza-fingers.)
4. Your name is Eric Clapton and I hate 95% of what you play.
Top 3 Local Releases of the Year So Far
1. Cortney Tidwell - Don't Let Stars Keep us Tangled Up
2. I don't know what all has come out this year, actually... ummm..... peep poop and the doop deeps. Has anything I've done been released so far this year?
3. Still don't know...I haven't heard that Clutters record yet but the song I heard on the Internet was really fucking good. The Turbo Fruits record coming out in July is great...
To be continued?
Top 3 Late-Night-Order-Food-for-the-Studio Options
1. Grocery store: almost any food you could want, made by your own two hands and probably better than Jack in the Box.
2. Jack in the Box. Bacon egg and cheese biscuit with curly fries and a Sprite. Or tacos. And then Pepto. Oh, and they have mac & cheese balls. Haven't had them but they're mac & cheese in a deep-fried ball-form. It's a ball. With mac & cheese. Fried.
Top 3 Worst Places to Buy Gear in Nashville
1. Guitar Center/Sam Ash. They both offered me some crack and a baby born with its heart on the outside of its body if I'd buy some picks so they'd get the commission. Then they tried to sell me an extended warranty on the pick for $20.
2. Any other music store, pawn shop, or even thrift store (why is everything so expensive here? Music City Thrift had a piece of shit little organ for $250!)
3. Drug house. They haven't taken care of that guitar they stole out of your buddy's car 3 months ago that the pawn shop wouldn't take from them. They don't know shit about instrument care, but they know everything about crystal meth.
#1 Reason Why East Nashville Makes the Money
$500,000 recently flipped houses near Five Points aren't cheap and we also need to buy more sunglasses. Let's go with we need to buy more sunglasses.