The Spin asked me to point you to its year-end wrap-up of live shows around town and to implore you to share your favorite live moments and performances from 2006.
I'll go first. Besides every second of the three Drive-By Truckers shows I saw this year, here are my top five favorite live moments/shows from 2006:
5. Snakerider at the Temptation Club—its hard to beat Richie in spandex.
4. Wilco at the Ryman—it was Tweedytastic!
3. Lucero at Mucklewain—it was pitch dark, I was on my 108th $2 can of High Life and there may or may not have been fireflies involved.
2. Andrew Bird at Bonnaroo/Bonnaroo in general—he played the violin, the guitar, the glockenspiel and whistled ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
1. Violent Femmes at Lollapalooza—this one surprised me. I've been listening to the Violent Femmes since one of the cool kids at summer camp passed along their self-titled LP but they weren't even on my must-see list in Chicago. But they, and those songs, blew me away—"American Music" and "Country Death Song" were just insane counterpoints to the rapidly fading daylight.