Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Tonight is Ladyfest.

Posted By on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Tonight if you feel like getting out for rock, and you're not in the mood for the indie-fro-kicked out jams of Wolfmother, and you just can't get into the tender snoozerific noodlings of M. Ward, and you couldn't care less about riding the boredommobile that is Americana at every other venue, you might want to head down to the LadyFest Music City benefit at The End to get down on some new loud.

Bands playing:
Six Gun Lullaby
Claire Gonwa
Dirty Holiday
Horse

9pm. $5.

Tags: ,

Hairdresser!!!

Posted By on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:54 AM

Gawker's new music blog, Idolator, is killing me with their post about the five greatest public-access music videos of all time. If you love community access, music and music videos, you'll get into the clips. The "Hairdresser" video is great, but I think Jan Terri's video for Losing You broke my heart the best.

"A sassy sound with British pop vocals"

Posted By on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:07 AM

The Huntsville Times breathes a little love onto Jetpack (UK).

Features Messageboard

Posted By on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM

The Features messageboard is up again, just in time to answer the question that has been plaguing Nashville for months:

Who is hotter, Parrish or Mark?

Tags: ,

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Grand Podcast

Posted By on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Grand Palace launched a podcast. It isn't anywhere on their webpage, but if you read their MySpace bulletins or are on their email list, then you get this link. Here's Grand Palace's description, complete with press release phrases like "smokin' slabs":

Grand Palace Records is proud to announce the launch of the Grand Palace Podcast, a weekly adventure into the world of new music. Hosted by DJ Bawston Sean, the GPP aims to expose the latest and greatest in underground music. In this installment we've got smokin' slabs from The New Sound of Numbers, Catfish Haven, Dead Meadow, Alice Smith, Yo La Tengo, My Morning Jacket (LIVE!!!), The Features, Cut Chemist and a Crunk Tribute to Radiohead.

Tags: ,

Tuesday's Helpful Hint

Posted By on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:57 PM

click to enlarge imovie.jpg

Man, Apple really has a lot of restrictions when you buy songs from the iTunes music store, like how many times you can burn the song, etc. I'm sure you've been trying to think of a way to get around that, so we present this informative link.

Was it the airhorns?

Posted By on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:50 AM

Napalm Death played at the Muse last night, and I only just now heard about it. How did that one slip through the cracks? A whole lot of years have passed since that band was good, but still, this should have been a big deal, right? Did anyone go? Do they still play "You Suffer"?

Tags: ,

Recently Announced

Posted By on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:07 AM

City Hall just announced that they've booked Beck for October 13th, while 3rd and Lindsley says they have The Gin Blossoms on October 15th. Which 90s powerhouse do YOU think is most likely to sell out?

Tags:

Monday, September 18, 2006

2005 is the New 2006

Posted By on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 11:33 PM

The Belcourt Theatre is having an R. Kelly "Trapped in the Closet" sing-a-long this Friday night.

How would a sing-a-long even work? Are they going to pass out crib sheets at the door, or do they have a subtitled version of the 12-part series? It's a seriously long song. I fear it might get a little...repetitive.

Anyway, the show is 8 bucks, but I think I'd need at least 15 dollars worth of Coors Light in me before I find it funny.

Tags: ,

When Hollywood Was Calling Out Your Name

Posted By on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:15 PM

Mat Brooke wrote two of the songs on Band of Horses' fantastic debut, Everything All the Time: "I Go To The Barn Because I Like The" and "St. Augustine." His is the forlorn, Beamish voice coaxing itself to sing just below the surface, on lines like "I'd like to think I'm a mess you'd wear with pride" and "Let's bury ourselves and go haunt someone tonight." Before he was the other guy in Band of Horses, the guy in the background, the guy who doesn't sing into 300 feet of reverb coil, Brooke was the main guy in Carissa's Wierd, a coltish Seattle band that developed a frenetic following in their hometown and in New York but were mostly unknown elsewhere.