Our city in ruins: The Home for Aged Masons 

The state controls the fate of some other endangered sites, such as The Home for Aged Masons (R.S. Gass Boulevard off Hart Lane in Inglewood), a three-story Colonial Revival-style building constructed in 1913-1915. It and the nearby Boys' School, built around 1915, are the only surviving buildings from a larger complex dating to the early 20th century. The Tennessee Masons provided the campus as a home for widows, orphans and the aged, according to Historic Nashville, which placed these properties on its list.

Designed by the Nashville architectural firm of Asmus & Norton, who designed the Cathedral of the Incarnation on West End, the columned limestone building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It sits now on an office-building campus that houses the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and other state agencies. Purchased by the State of Tennessee in 1941 for use as a tuberculosis hospital, the property was vacated in the 1990s. A state master plan for development of the property does not guarantee its survival, according to Brown.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Recent Comments

Sign Up! For the Scene's email newsletters





* required

All contents © 1995-2014 City Press LLC, 210 12th Ave. S., Ste. 100, Nashville, TN 37203. (615) 244-7989.
All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of City Press LLC,
except that an individual may download and/or forward articles via email to a reasonable number of recipients for personal, non-commercial purposes.
Powered by Foundation