Dane Carder makes paintings based on Civil War-era photographs. During our visit on Friday, I learned some things:
• His 40th birthday is in two weeks.
• A lot of the canvases he uses are made from material he inherited from an artist who committed suicide.
• He listens to Tom Waits while he works. Specifically, "Misery Is the River of the World."
• He's recently incorporated his own photography into his art-making process — he's been documenting Civil War reenactments in Shiloh.
• His studio smells like Nag Champa.
Check out some pictures of my studio-going adventure below.