Today we get word that Lackey made the cut. He's one of only 15 chefs to receive the Young Guns honor, out of more than 2,700 nominees.
According to the announcement from Flyte, he'll fly to Los Angeles this weekend for the Young Guns gala, where he plans to serve a signature dish: Bear Creek Farm culotte steak with beets over embers, macerated strawberry, cherry bark puree and puffed buckwheat. LeeAnn Cherry from Bear Creek will also attend the event, where they’ll both discuss the Tennessee farm scene.
The committee that selected Lackey included such luminaries as Sean Brock, Mario Batali, Paul Kahan and Alice Waters.
“I’m beyond honored that the committee has selected me to be among such an esteemed group of professionals,” Lackey said. “Though I’m young in the industry, I’ve had the opportunity to take risks, sharpen my culinary viewpoint, and make a commitment to the ingredients and preparations that I’m both proud of and inspired by. That couldn’t happen without the opportunity given to me by the team at Flyte, and I’m proud to represent them in this national recognition.”
Lackey's in august young-gun company. Here's the full list from Eater:
Young Guns Class of 2013
• Shion Aikawa, Director of Operations, Ramen Tatsu-Ya, Austin, TX
• Mike Brown, Chef/Co-owner, Travail and Pig Ate My Pizza, Robbinsdale, MN
• Alyssa DiPasquale, Manager and Advanced Sake Professional, O Ya, Boston, MA
• Jeremy Hoffman, Chef de Cuisine, Restaurant Eve, Alexandria, VA
• Ryan Lachaine, Sous Chef, Underbelly, Houston, TX
• Matt Lackey, Executive Chef, Flyte World Dining and Wine, Nashville, TN
• Jessica Largey, Chef de Cuisine, Manresa, Los Gatos, CA
• Mitch Lienhard, Sous Chef, Grace, Chicago, IL
• Jayce McConnell, Bar Program Manager, Snackbar, Oxford, MS
• Brooks Reitz, General Manager, The Ordinary, Charleston, SC
• Alissa Rozos, Pastry Chef, St. Jack, Portland, OR
• Hourie Sahakian, Pastry Chef, Short Cake, Los Angeles, CA
• Mark Schieber, Cook and Kitchen Manager, Forequarter, Madison, WI
• Henri Schock, Proprietor and Wine Director, Bottlehouse, Seattle, WA
• Jason Wang, President, Xi'an Famous Foods, New York, NY