Two weeks from today, an era ends. The final episode of Battlestar Galactica* will air on SciFi and I will no doubt be left devastated. (You should have seen me after last week--Boomer! How could you?!?!) In honor of this historic occasion--and in appreciation for the years of joy the seminal series has brought me--I want to do a BSG-themed menu. The only problem is that the crew has been living off algae for a couple years now. That said, I'll need to be creative. Some ideas, after the jump.
*Scoff if you want. This show is the bomb--Time magazine even named it show of the year in 2005. Over the course of four seasons, they have tackled terrorism, war crimes, insurgency, identity issues, military influence on civilian government, religious upheaval and blown a lot of shit up. Plus, they make me have feelings.
1. "Ambrosia" The drink of choice on BSG is a green liquor called ambrosia. It shouldn't be too tough to make a verdant cocktail using the colonial fleet's favorite tipple as inspiration. Margaritas? Midori? Or maybe just a drop of food coloring in my martini.
2. No. 8 Chicken Fried Steak Chicken or steak? Human or cylon? Either way, it's definitely bad for your heart. This dish makes the menu in honor of Sharon "Boomer" Valeri, the cylon who thought she was human. After being rejected by the fleet in season one, her emotional wounds manifested themselves in a cold-hearted callousness and a duplicitous nature, leaving a trail of tears in her wake--most recently those of our beloved Chief.
3. Maybe I could roast a whole fish and poke its eye out? And then tell it it's a cylon!
4. Eye of Jupiter Chips N Dip In honor of our very own phoenix, Kara Thrace, we'll do a little dip platter. Blue corn tortilla chips in the center, surrounded by rings of salsa and hummus. In the middle of the bullseye, a shot of whiskey to encourage shoving, screaming, fracking and being mean to Anders (tear).
5. Felix (Chicken) Legs with a Spicy (read: Itchy) Rub: Poor little Gaeta. Things really started to go downhill for him after he lost his leg--creepy singing, itching stump, oh and that whole mutiny and execution thing.
6. Speaking of Gaeta, dessert is a sinch. The greatest laugh line in BSG history (and perhaps the greatest laugh line ever in a TV trial for treason and genocide): "Butterfingers!"
With any luck, we'll all be channeling Fat Lee (Adama) by the end of the evening:
And hopefully our meloncholy nomads will finally have a home.
Anyone else have any suggestions?