Friday, January 30, 2009

For Those About to Rock Some Blowfish Bollocks ...

Posted By on Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

click to enlarge tennis_balls.jpg


Three diners in Japan remain hospitalized after eating blowfish baubles, known as fugu, prepared by an unauthorized chef in Tsuruoka city, on the northwest coast of Japan about 85 miles northwest of Tokyo.

Seven men reportedly ordered sashimi and grilled blowfish 'nads at a chef-owned eatery Monday night. Though fugu is poisonous, it's safe if properly prepared by a trained, licensed handler. Fugu's hint-o-death raises its excitement profile, and the maritime knapsacks to the hereafter are sought out by culinary thrill-seekers.

Shortly after eating the fugu, the patrons developed paralysis in the limbs and difficulty breathing, possible signs that something was amiss.

They were beginning to lose consciousness when they were taken to the hospital, which treated them for tetrodotoxin poisoning. Three of them, a 55-year-old, 68-year-old and 69-year-old, remain hospitalized, one in critical condition.


The owner was unable to produce a license to handle toxic knackers.

Aaand I'm all done.

Tags: , ,

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

Top Topics in
Bites

Events (58)


News (40)


Restaurant openings (20)


Bites (19)


Open Thread (13)


Restaurants (11)


Cooking the Books (10)


Retail (7)


Wine (7)


Drinks (7)


All contents © 1995-2014 City Press LLC, 210 12th Ave. S., Ste. 100, Nashville, TN 37203. (615) 244-7989.
All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of City Press LLC,
except that an individual may download and/or forward articles via email to a reasonable number of recipients for personal, non-commercial purposes.
Powered by Foundation